After the last post, I decided to put together the one Proxie Models building I have right now, and worry about the rest of my Urban Table project later. This is pretty much the same technique I used long ago with my GW Cities Of Death buildings.
Raw materials: one Proxie Models ruined building set, a 6" x 6" square of 1/8" MDF hardboard, and a length of styrene corner stock I found in a drawer. The Proxie walls don't really have finished edges, so I thought the styrene would be a good option for building corners. It also gives me a way to quickly change building styles with the Proxie sprues... I'll just use square corners on some, rounded corners on others.
I used an X-Acto hobby-sized miter box and saw to cut the corners and went to work. Assembly was pretty simple - Tacky Glue held everything together and set quickly. Gorilla Glue would have been another option.
Then I decided the building needed a floor of some kind. I cut 1" x 1" squares from an old blister card. I try to save small bits of packaging that are on really nice glossy stock - they come in handy. I meant to go back and score these so there would be fore tiles per piece, but I got lazy. I did cut a few tiles up by the most damaged portion of the building, just to give a broken effect:
And for the rubble - plain old sand that I liberated from a local park. I piled it up along the foundation, with a few thicker piles over the damaged sections. It's not a super realistic effect, especially if you go back and look at pictures of WWII Stalingrad and the like. But realistic rubble would pretty much fill the building - not useful for maneuvering figures! I think this is a good compromise between realistic rubble and plain ruins sticking out of the ground.
I think this is good enough for my test piece. I might mix in some larger bits of rubble next time, but this will be a decent start for my war-torn cityscape. I'll get it painted as soon as there's another day warm enough to spray primer onto it.