08 October 2011

"Corporal... did you bring the Garn repellant?"

I've been experimenting quite a bit with washes lately... using different ones over bare metal and solid basecoats to create interesting (and fast) paint schemes.  Mostly I've been working with Citadel and b, but I finally added some Secret Weapon washes to my mix.  One of my favorites, both in name and as a color, is their Baby Poop.  It produces a great sickly greenish-brownish tint (as would be expected...), and goes on very heavy.  I tried a few experiments with it, and then realized exactly where I could use it in my collection...

So I ran downstairs and grabbed the pack of Khurasan Minis Garn that had been sitting in my drawer for the last year or so.  Until now, I never knew how I wanted to paint them.  But my new wash techniques seemed like they should be perfect for this type of mini.  Here's the results:


It was a pretty simple paint scheme.  I started with white primer, then two coats of Secret Weapon Baby Poop over the entire mini.  Then I picked out the eyes with drops of Vallejo Blood Red and the weapons/energy packs/backpack shields with Vallejo Gunmetal.  I used two different colors on the belts, straps, and boots - P3 Underbelly Blue with Secret Weapon Blue Wash on the hunt master, and P3 Cryx Bane Highlight with Secret Weapon Light Black Wash on the two hunters.  I finished the minis by putting Secret Weapon Drying Blood wash over the silver back shields, a final coat of Wonder Wash Black over the entire mini,  and finished the bases.

I really like the way they turned out.  The maroon or green schemes seen in the Khurasan website pics and on SpaceJacker's blog are very nice, but just a bit cartoonish for my taste.  The Baby Poop (stop giggling!) Wash gives them a flesh tone right out of a dinosaur movie.

So... what to do with only three Garn?  I've been playing quite a bit of In the Emperor's Name lately, and three Garn could be a tough little retinue.  But I decided to play around with Gut Check instead.  It's a game I really enjoyed playing last year, but haven't looked at it since we started development of ItEN.  This seems like a nice time to try it again.

Here's the rules I came up with for the Garn... they should be able to handle quite a few inferior enemy minis. I'm going to try to sneak in a game or two this weekend.

Cheers,
Chris K.

4 comments:

  1. The "washed" Garns look great, Chris. I use washes for various purposes on minis, especialy 15mm WWII soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jay! I never did get the hang of washes back in my 28mm years. These days... I couldn't imagine finishing any 15mm minis without them.

    Chris K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +1 for washes, I don't have a single 15mm mini without a wash somewhere on it. Your Garn look great, I am thinking of doing my spares in a motley mix of more dinosaur colors like yours.
    Glad to see you enjoyed gut check! I feel bad for not doing any more work on it now :( I felt like it got superseded by things like Iten, Fubar, and the newer THW rules.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel too bad about it. You put just enough info out there to create a good framework... I can tinker from there, just like I do with FUBAR and ItEN. :)

    I'm up to a dozen Gut Check force rosters now - if there's any interest in them, I could put up a page for those resources.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete