02 July 2011

New skirmish game - In The Emperor's Name

Craig Cartmell has just released In The Emperor's Name, his latest (and perhaps his greatest) set of wargaming rules.  They are designed to play small narrative actions that one would find in games like Necromunda, Gorkamorka, Inquisitor, or even Mutants & Death Ray Guns or Savage Worlds.

While the rules and retinue lists are created with the 40k universe in mind, I've been playtesting them for months using 15mm figures.  I've found them to be VERY enjoyable!  I've even tried playing the same scenarios and forces using these rules and then playing Mutants & Death Ray Guns... and I must admit that In The Emperor's Name is a better game (at least for solo play).  I will post some battle reports in the coming weeks... some will be using "counts-as" versions of the retinues in the book, and some will be some "free-form" retinues I made just for my 15mm collection.

Check them out today!  This is one of the best free skirmish games you will ever play.

Chris K.

3 comments:

  1. I was reading these last night, really tight set. I was thinking of re-skinning the flavour text to a more space opera theme for the solo campaign.I don't think it would even take much work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been drafting a small supplement for generic sci-fi, but it would be cool to see what you come up with. My last game was Blue Moon Universalists vs. Critical Mass Astagar, using nothing but the figure creation formula found on page 3.

    It made for a very interesting game since the Astagar almost always had initiative (having a Speed stat of +3), but I still don't think it upset the balance of the rules themselves.

    I also think these rules would be perfect for heroic Star Wars-universe games. It will be interesting to see how people use them or what kind of supplements we release in the coming months.

    Chris K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... will have to look into this. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete