07 July 2011

A Ruthless Terrorist Organization...

One thing that we always have plenty of in 15mm Sci-Fi is human infantry with faceshields and helmets.  I'm not complaining... they are all excellent sculpts, and the "hard sci-fi" settings most of us prefer allow for a wide variety of human factions to be fielded.

But where does one find inspiration to paint these different forces?  Noticing my old comic book collection reminded me of a pretty cool source of color and uniform ideas... and here's the first one I picked.  The ubiquitous Cobra Viper has been remade many times by Hasbro over the years, but they keep coming back to the basic blue uniform.

So I figured... why not?  I still have an assortment of Rebel Minis Earthforce Marines waiting to be painted.  I whipped together a quick unit to see how it looked in 15mm.  Here's the outcome:


Works for me!  Another squad of these, some heavy weapons support, and a few vehicles should give me a fun little army.  These would be great as a mercenary regiment, security force, or even something more like their action figure counterparts.

Speaking of vehicles... what to use?  Once again I ransacked my box of old die-cast toys.  I found an interesting old vehicle called the Space Van.  Its angled cockpit and hull shape reminded me quite a bit of the old Cobra Hiss tanks... perfect for this project!  Another Hot Wheels vehicle (an Assault Crawler - very useful even on its own) provided some good tracks to replace the Space Van's plain and undersized wheels.  I think they work pretty well together... now I just need to find a turret and get this thing painted!

Cheers,
Chris

6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love the whole lot! Nostalgia continues to inspire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the good stuff Chris. I am inspired by your superior Hot-Wheels bashing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The GZG Free Cal-Tex troopers are almost the spitting image of Cobra VIPERs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my eye on the FCT minis, but for the opposite reason. Their heads remind me of the Steel Brigade figures - which were a mail-away "generic" GI Joe figure. And their bodies resemble the body armor worn by some of the original '82-'83 figures. They may be my not-GI Joe minis if I continue this project. :)

    ReplyDelete